Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Family Farm

We went with some friends to a family farm. They have three milk cows. a bunch of chickens, a slew of piglets, and 6 kittens.

Miss C, trying her hand at milking a cow by hand. And of course only I, a retired LLL Leader, would notice that this cow had a powerful milk ejection reflex.

Mr. J was the only other kid of mine willing to give a tug on the teets. In fact, Miss C was asking to do it again, only she wanted to fill a pail like Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Can you believe I had made it to 34 without ever trying to milk a cow. It is a sad statistic of mine.

Oh the kittens... I bet they will talk about those kittens for months. These kittens were patriotic kittens born on the fourth of July.

Do you know how hard it is to tell four big brown eyed kids, "No we can not bring them home." And like one kitten would have been enough to share amongst four kids. I don't think Gwen, Boo Boo, Odie and our Bassett hound would have appreciated it either. Let me tell you about my will power yesterday! So, so, so HARD to say, "No" to those big brown eyes and adorable tiny kittens.

They wore those kitties out, they fell asleep all the while being handled and passed amongst 12 kids. (We went with two other families).

I love the look of awe and wonder on their faces.

The gentleness and care with handling (though that did eventually wore off on a certain 4 year old).

Miss C, exclaiming, "I could hold her forever." Look at those kitty paws. So precious.

So cuddly and such tiny, tiny meows.

The piglets would have been far more enjoyed if it wasn't the season of flies. SO MANY FLIES!!!! I don't think I have ever seen in my whole life so many flies.


But in the end, we had to part with those kitties. So hard to do. I thought Miss C would cry. But we are very thankful to have brought home a half of gallon of raw milk. We are so very grateful to the family in Byers, Co for letting us come for a hands on experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment